[FOM] Provability of Consistency

Artemov, Sergei SArtemov at gc.cuny.edu
Thu Mar 28 23:34:42 EDT 2019

Indeed, I did not have time to comment on all your remarks; there were many. But you did not comment on my x^2+1 example either, and if you would, there would be no need for you to reiterate the current question since it is conceptually covered by the x^2+1 example.

Let me parse your “three cubes” example.

< Do you consider S to be a satisfactory formalization of the statement, "the sum of three cubes is never equal to 42"? >

Of course NOT, since in its syntactic form, S allows x,y,z to be positive integers, rationals, reals, etc. And this is not a forgotten default, but a principal game-changing feature. A better formulation would be S* which is S with additional condition “x,y,z are integers” (there is also a default that x,y,z are standard integers).

At this very point you are losing your syntactic paradise. Insisting that S “as is” is the proper syntactic formulation of the three cubes problem would be unprofessional since without specifying the domain of x,y,z, S is a plain wrong formulation.  Or you say “sorry, of course I meant S for (standard) integers x,y,z.” And then the real life storms into your syntactic paradise because you have to invoke infinite sets, evaluations, Tarsi’s definition of truth in a model, etc. which makes S* not a syntactic condition any more.

In real life, people are usually loose and trend to omit the domain condition. However it is always present. So,

a) S is a WRONG formulation of the three cubes problem, since the domain condition for x,y,z is missing. In particular, quantifiers in S are allowed to range over different domains: integers, nonstandard integers, rationals, reals, etc.

b) S* (with some other defaults) is the right formulation, but it is not purely syntactic.

In principle, we could stop here since your question of whether a purely syntactic S is a correct formulation of the three cubes problem is answered negatively.

Let us see what happens with your examples. As you suggest, imagine

Theorem 1 (Goddard).  The sum of three cubes never equals 42.
Theorem 2 (Goddard).  If PA is consistent, then PA does not prove S.

No problem with understanding Th.1, this is a genuine solution of the problem, sincere congratulations to Kate.

Th.2 is not directly related to the three cubes problem since it claims unprovability of S which is a sloppy formulation of the three cubes problem (cf. the above). Hypothetically, the better version of Th.2 would be Th.3 “If PA is consistent, then PA does not prove S*,” but I am afraid that even Kate Goddard’s genus could not do it since S* is not in the language of PA due to the built-in notion of a standard integer.

Th.2 alone would be a logician delight, as proving independence of a formula which is the three cubes problem without the domain condition. However, its mathematical significance would be limited. Imagine Kate proved only Th.2 and counterexamples to S are all nonstandard integers; would this bring us closer to a solution of the three cubes problem? Not really. Here is my example: in some models of infinite computations, the Halting Problem gets a solution at some infinite steps. Does this alter the classical result that the Halting Problem is undecidable? Definitely not. This shows the real value of Th.2.