[FOM] Forward: Provability of Consistency

Artemov, Sergei SArtemov at gc.cuny.edu
Tue Mar 26 20:48:21 EDT 2019

Dear Riki,

Thank you for your interest and meaningful questions. Here are the answers.

RH1. >> 3. Provability in PA. This one is quite relevant in the context of Goedel’s Second Incompleteness Theorem, G2.

>> However, our goal is to make a semantic sense out of (3), to understand what is really going on in G2.

> I do not understand this, and I strongly suspect that it is confused.
> What does "understanding" Con(PA) mean if it does not mean understanding
> it as standardly interpreted?

Con(PA) is the first-order formula \forall x(~Proof(x,0=1)) in the language of PA. Its interpretation (and truth values) depend on a specific model of arithmetic we are considering. There is one standard model and infinitely many nonstandard models of PA. Con(PA) is interpreted and gets a definitive truth value in each of these models. In the standard model, the truth value of Con(PA) is “true.” However, when we study the question of whether a given formula F is derivable in PA, PA|-F(?), we may wish to consider this provability condition in an equivalent semantic form as “F is true in all models of PA,” for example, in order to compare this with the interpretation of F in the standard model. Having said this, take F to be Con(PA), Hence

PA|- Con(PA)    iff    Con(PA) holds in each model of PA.

Since, by G2, PA|-/- Con(PA), there is a model M (of PA) in which Con(PA) is false i.e., there is an element \alpha in M such that Proof(\alpha,0=1) is true in M. Furthermore, as you mention in your post, for each specific n, PA|- ~Proof(n,0=1), hence Proof(n,0=1) is false in model M for each n=0,1,2,… . Therefore, \alpha is different from each of n=0,1,2,…, hence \alpha is a nonstandard number in M. We have thus proved a small lemma that Proof(x,0=1) can be false only for nonstandard x’s. This is a semantical analysis of (3) which I mean. Cf. the PoC paper and my previous posting to Tim Chow in which I analyze with an algebraic example why this means that Con(PA) misrepresents Hilbert’s consistency definition “no PA-derivation S contains a contradiction.”

RH2. > Does that also show that PH is not really about the natural numbers,
> as its understood within the context of PA?

“About natural numbers” is not mathematical statement. Mathematically, PH is true in the standard model in which all quantifiers range over standard numbers. So, in the standard model, PH is “about (standard) natural numbers.” However, in the context of provability PH in PA we have to consider nonstandard models of PA as well: there is a nonstandard model M in which PH is false. The same reasoning as in RH1 shows that nonstandard elements of M are essential for determining the truth value of PH in M. One can say that in M, PH is about both standard and nonstandard natural numbers, not just “about natural numbers.”

RH3. > One of the difficulties that I (and perhaps some others)
> have is that every instance of
>
> (*)    If S is a PA-derivation, then S is not a proof of 0=1.
>
> is already provable in R. (These are \Delta_1, and they are all true.)
> But the proof that *all* the instances of (*) are provable in R will
> involve resources that go beyond PA. What you are adding, I take it, is
> a proof that PA-proofs of instances of (*) can be made to be uniform in S.

Not really. Every instance of (*) is provable in PA, but the traditional proof of this fact which you have just presented relies on the soundness of PA w.r.t. the standard model and this is not a finitary argument required by Hilbert. I am making sure that for every instance of (*) there is a  mathematical proof of this instance and this proof is formalizable in PA. Please check out section 4 and 5 on the PoC paper. Uniformity is not the point.

Best,
Sergei