[FOM] Fwd: Forward: Provability of Consistency

Martin Davis martin at eipye.com
Tue Mar 26 11:57:12 EDT 2019

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Kennedy, Juliette <juliette.kennedy at helsinki.fi>
Date: Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 11:21 PM
Subject: Re: [FOM] Forward: Provability of Consistency
To: Foundations of Mathematics <fom at cs.nyu.edu>, Martin Davis <
martin at eipye.com>

The old question whether the Second Incompleteness theorem has been
established or not has been discussed by Feferman, Detlefsen, Franks,
Pudlak and others, mostly centering on the three Hilbert-Bernays
derivability conditions as given in Hilbert and Bernays 1934.

There is also the Kuratowski proof:

Set theory cannot prove that set theory is consistent in the strong sense
that some *V*α is a model of set theory. For suppose it does. Then there is
α such that *V*α is a model of set theory. Hence there is also in *V*α some
β<α such that *V*βis a model of set theory. Continuing in this way we get
an infinite descending sequence of ordinals, a contradiction.

See Kripke 2009. See also
https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/goedel/incompleteness-hilbert.html

All the best,

Juliette

P.O. Box 68 (Gustaf Hällströmin katu 2b)
FI-00014 University of Helsinki, Finland
tel. (+358-9)-191-51446, fax (+358-9)-191-51400
mobile: +358-50-371-4576

www.math.helsinki.fi/logic/people/juliette.kennedy/