[FOM] Fwd: Sad news about Anne Troelstra

Oosten, J. van (Jaap) J.vanOosten at uu.nl
Mon Mar 11 06:27:26 EDT 2019

Dear all,

below I append a message from ILLC about Professor Anne Troelstra's sudden demise. I am profoundly saddened by this, and feel that now, scientifically, I am an orphan.

His death came quite unexpected.

In Anne I mourn a person of great (sometimes restrained) personal warmth and moral rectitude. This is not the place for an overview of his many achievements and his significance for Logic; an obituary will appear on the ILLC web site.

Best wishes, Jaap van Oosten

[ILLC]

Sad news about Anne Troelstra

Dear all,

Sadly, we have to inform you that Anne Troelstra, after a short illness, suddenly died on March 7th, aged 79. A world-renowned eminent researcher, a supportive colleague, a teacher who trained many students to become important scholars, is no longer with us. Beginning in 1957 as a mathematics student, he remained at the University of Amsterdam all his life, except for a number of visiting professorships. He rose quickly to take his place as the successor of Brouwer and Heyting. As a full professor from 1970, he was the universally recognized authority on intuitionism and constructivism in general, leaving behind a number of books that will remain landmarks for many years to come. Retiring in 2000, he made a further name for himself as an author on natural history travel narratives. Anne was regularly seen at the ILLC until this year. His impressive personality, always intensely occupied with his present interests, will be greatly missed.

An obituary website is in preparation, and will be on-line soon.

There is a condolence card in the ILLC Office for people to sign.

Sincerely,

Sonja Smets, director ILLC

To stop getting these mails, contact the ILLC Buro<mailto:illc at uva.nl>.