[FOM] Learnability

Josef Urban josef.urban at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 11:05:38 EST 2019

I have not properly read the paper (which indeed looks interesting), but
the surprise likely comes from the assumption that ML is a "pretty
practical task".

But we may try to learn all sorts of "not so practical" tasks - e.g.
estimating the halting of a Turing machine (program), provability of an
arbitrary FOL/HOL/ZFC proposition, etc. And some of the "seemingly
practical" tasks may in full generality be very hard.

Already Turing in his 1950 seminal paper on AI discusses some of these
relations (e.g., Godel/Turing results vs feasibility of AI).

Josef