[FOM] Ordering a rank

Joe Shipman joeshipman at aol.com
Tue Dec 31 18:35:59 EST 2019

Yes, I should have been clearer. I want the order not only to be total, but also to be compatible with ordered semiring operations as in the theory of “numerosities” that was referenced here recently — a way of measuring size of sets that is finer-grained than cardinality.

Numerosities need not represent a total ordering of V or of some V_alpha because sets incomparable under inclusion can have the same numerosity; however, with choice one can, I think, get an appropriate total ordering from them. But the existence of numerosities even for V_(omega+1) seems to be independent of ZFC if I understand Mancosu correctly (also consistent without needing large cardinals, but I don’t know how far up you can go).

— JS

Sent from my iPhone