[FOM] Απ: Απ: Fact and opinion in F.O.M.

Kapantais Doukas dkapa at Academyofathens.gr
Sun Dec 29 03:56:02 EST 2019

Yes, I agree! This was what I had in mind. So, would say that the following might be the case: Within the work hypothesis that ZFC is the best we have and the best we will ever have, it is a fact that either *CH or –CH* is a fact and  matter of fact, and, at the same time, both CH and –CH are/will be matters of opinion.

As for a post-truth parallel compare with: Either the climate change claim or its negation is a fact, but they are both matters of opinion. (This is probably not a… rhetorically appropriate parallel, but you see what I mean.)

As for your point on weak systems, I think that it widens the discussion to a considerable extent. It allows for scenarios, where the mathematical community (whatever this might mean) will in the future render *neither CH nor –CH* a fact and a matter of fact at the same time, on the basis of their both being meaningless. After all, Cantor’s paradise has already not looking too enjoyable to everybody, and nothing guarantees that we will be willing to dwell in there forever.

Doukas Kapantais

________________________________
Από: fom-bounces at cs.nyu.edu <fom-bounces at cs.nyu.edu> εκ μέρους του Joe Shipman <joeshipman at aol.com>
Στάλθηκε: Παρασκευή, 27 Δεκεμβρίου 2019 8:55 μμ
Προς: Foundations of Mathematics <fom at cs.nyu.edu>
Κοιν.: tchow at alum.mit.edu <tchow at alum.mit.edu>
Θέμα: Re: [FOM] Απ: Fact and opinion in F.O.M.

I thought I had left open that possibility.

Because both CH and not-CH fail to give any new arithmetical consequences when added to ZFC, my claim was that I did not see how unbelievers could be persuaded of either, because of the consistency of weak systems denying infinite or uncountably infinite sets and thus rendering both CH and not-CH meaningless enough to only be matters of opinion and not matters of fact.

However, I did mention that if fundamental physics were successfully mathematized to a much more rigorous extent than it has been, a Putnam-type argument could be ontologically persuasive and entail the facticity of some infinitary statements. I just don’t see that that is likely anytime soon.

I’ve offered an alternative fictitious history of mathematical physics, where the atomic hypothesis was unproven for long enough that the belief in “continuous matter” led to the adoption of a real-valued measure axiom, and the discovery of general relativity prior to the discovery of atoms then made the appropriate response to the Banach-Taraki anomaly be a rejection of isotropy rather than a rejection of infinite divisibility. In this scenario, by the time the atomic theory and quantum mechanics were discovered, the RVM axiom would still be regarded as intuitively true, and would be preferred to weaker systems like ZFC because it could prove their consistency (Solovay’s result). In that alternative history, not-CH would be a theorem, but the development of modern physics might lead to its losing status as a matter of fact.

— JS

Sent from my iPhone