[FOM] Fact and opinion in F.O.M.

Joe Shipman joeshipman at aol.com
Fri Dec 27 14:01:53 EST 2019

I distinguish between a “fact” and a “tautology”, although if you make a good enough argument for logicism I would be willing to reclassify mathematical theorems as tautologies rather than facts.

And no, I clearly identified the phenomenon that many results in formally infinitary subjects such as topology and knot theory can be shown (in weak systems) to be equivalent to arithmetical statements. It is only the results of topology that can NOT be shown to be equivalent to arithmetical statements that I have doubts about the facticity of (and the particular subtheory of  topology known as “knot theory”, thanks to the efforts of Moise and others, has already been shown equivalent to its piecewise linear analogue which can be straightforwardly coded into finite mathematics).

— JS

Sent from my iPhone