[FOM] axiomatizations of PA

Dennis E. Hamilton dennis.hamilton at acm.org
Sun Dec 8 11:26:00 EST 2019

It is gratifying to see that Cohen's book is now available in a Dover reprint
of the typescript (Kindle edition not recommended by reviewers though).  I
look forward to arrival of my inexpensive print copy.

Thanks to the observation by Lukasz T. Stepien, I was able to track down
Gabriele Lolli and see that his Chapter on "Peano and the Foundations of
Arithmetic" is available on ResearchGate.  It is a delightful account that
demonstrates how much foundational questions were in the air at the time.  I
can't help but mention two nuggets that caught my eye.

1. That having an infinite model leads to the existence of many such models is
anticipated, as is the "problem" of the possibility of members of N that are
not part of the inductive progression.

 2. There is polite mention of Russell's rather indignant irritation over the
lack of a metaphysical commitment to the fixed unit (1 or 0) of ordinary
arithmetic.  This wanting of a strict interpretation of our sense of something
in nature (even a Platonic reality) is not unlike the distress some folks have
over the empty set and the denumerable infinite (and a common misunderstanding
of material implication as well).

There is much more on the interplay with Dedekind, Frege, and predecessors who
set groundwork for PA.

All of the matters and concerns have been refined again and again in the
ensuing century, yet in retrospect the roots of the convergence to today's
framing (and enduring concerns) are evident.

 - Dennis