[FOM] Gordeev and NP = PSPACE again

Edward Hermann Haeusler edward.haeusler at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 14:08:42 EDT 2019

Dear Tim,

     Thank you for the question and sorry for the delay in answering it. I
was on holiday (very short indeed)
    Concerning the decision of using LEAN as the ITP to formalize and proof
the conjecture (NP=PSPACE), my students know it better than other ITPs. We
give some classes on it and they have been using it.  LEAN's learning
impedance in this case is lower. The current goal is to formalize the proof
of the main lemma on existence of redundancy in some particular
superpolynomially sized class of trees. We have to encode many of the
concepts, it is true, but we have more driving power in the formalization
steps instead. You are right about the fact that the intended meaning and
the obtained semantics may be (slightly) different, but it seems that we
have no way to escape from posing an informal argument to adjust this
difference.
After showing that the removal of redundancy yields a polynomially sized
dag that can be checked for being a proof of a tautology in minimal logic
we can draw the conclusion that NP=PSPACE.  The details will be provided
and submitted  only after a complete verification of the formalization by
LEAN. I would like to have no incompleteness in the argument.

Edward  Hermann Haeusler

--
Edward Hermann Haeusler
Associate Professor