[FOM] Provability of Consistency

Timothy Y. Chow tchow at math.princeton.edu
Tue Apr 2 14:53:01 EDT 2019

This is my final contribution to the Artemov thread.

Sergei Artemov wrote:
> A scheme is finitarily provable if each instance of S is.

It would appear to follow from the above principle that if anyone ever
proves Goldbach's conjecture by any means, then Goldbach's conjecture will
be finitarily provable.

We can write down a scheme

   "exists prime p1 : exists prime p2 : p1 + p2 = E"

where in each instance of the scheme we insert a different even number E.

Under the assumption that Goldbach has been proved, every instance of the
scheme is certainly finitarily provable.

By Artemov's principle, it follows that Goldbach's conjecture is
finitarily provable.

Tim