[FOM] Alain Connes' approach to Analysis

Joe Shipman joeshipman at aol.com
Mon Sep 17 22:34:51 EDT 2018

I don’t understand why suspicion of nonmeasurable sets and ultrafilters should make a number theorist distrust proofs which use them, it is well known that they can be constructively eliminated from the proof of any Arithmetical statement.

Is “there exists a non-principal ultrafilter on P(N)” strictly weaker than “every filter on P(N) can be extended to an ultrafilter”? Is the latter statement strictly weaker than “there exists a well-ordering of the continuum”?

— JS

Sent from my iPhone