[FOM] Alain Connes' approach to Analysis

Lawrence Paulson lp15 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Sep 3 07:59:01 EDT 2018

Non-Standard Analysis can be developed from basic set theoretical principles and no additional axioms, via an ultrafilter construction. This approach was formalised in Isabelle nearly 20 years ago by one of my PhD students, Jacques Fleuriot.

https://doi.org/10.1112/S1461157000000267

Moreover, results derived using non-standard methods can be transferred (again making no additional assumptions) to the standard real numbers. Surely this leaves no room for philosophical objections, provided one accepts higher order logic, which is a weak fragment of set theory.

Larry Paulson