[FOM] Gentzen's consistency proof

WILLIAM TAIT williamtait at mac.com
Sat May 19 11:54:25 EDT 2018

Sorry to be so slow responding, Tim.

For a suitable system of notation for the ordinals < \epsilon_0:

Call a cut-free deduction of a sequent in PA without math induction but with the \omega-rule *annotated* if each step has an ordinal < \epsilon_0 attached to it so that ordinals decrease going from conclusion to premise in each inference.

Gentzen (essentially) defined, uniformly primitive recursive in a given deduction in PA of a sequent \Gamma |- A, a function f such that f(n) codes the n-th approximation of an annotated deduction of \Gamma |- A.  (Because of the omega-rule, `n-th approximation’ is in width as well as in height.) Will this help?

Best,
Bill