[FOM] H.N. from "Mathematical Cranks"

tchow tchow at alum.mit.edu
Sat May 5 15:56:31 EDT 2018

In Underwood Dudley's book "Mathematical Cranks," he devotes a short
chapter to someone that he identifies only as "H.N."  Evidently, H.N.
was a full professor of mathematics when, in 1970, he wrote:

"Recently I have discovered a surprising fact.  Logicians' axiomatic set
theory is meaningless in mathematics.  They have been working in wrong
mathematics and exerting their efforts in vain over the past sixty
years.  They are still making the same mistake.  So I dare say that all
the books related to axiomatic set theory must be removed immediately.
Only my book describes correct set theory."

According to Dudley, H.N. sent his letter to seventeen well-known
mathematicians, who were of course not impressed.  Apparently H.N.'s
name disappeared from the AMS membership list a few years later.

I am wondering if any FOMers know who H.N. was and if he published his
ideas on set theory?  Naturally I'm not expecting such a book to be of
much mathematical value, but it does seem to be of some sociological
interest since it is not so common for someone who has made it all the
way to a professorship in mathematics to exhibit this kind of behavior.

Tim