[FOM] English translation of Weyl (1910)

Stephen Pollard spollard at truman.edu
Thu May 3 16:56:37 EDT 2018

Having failed to locate an English translation of Hermann Weyl’s 1910 habilitation lecture (“Über die Definitionen der mathematischen Grundbegriffe”), I decided to do one of my own. It is posted here: https://www.academia.edu/36559178/Definitions_of_Fundamental_Mathematical_Concepts

Corrections would be most welcome.

In one passage of particular interest, Weyl asserts that CH can be decided only if we add to Zermelo's set theory an axiom "expressing the exact opposite of Hilbert's completeness axiom.” Namely: “the domain of Zermelian things has no subdomain that (holding constant the membership relation) satisfies all of Zermelo's axioms.” This at least points in the general direction of a minimal, transitive, proper class model.