[FOM] 808: Big Foundational Issues/2

Joe Shipman joeshipman at aol.com
Tue May 1 01:39:13 EDT 2018

We have many different ways of picking out a collection of true sentences about HF, which, when augmented with a standard form of the axiom of infinity, axiomatize ZFC. The simplest way to do this starts with a theory for HF which is equivalent in a very strong sense to PA (isomorphism between HF under the membership relation “x is an element of y” and N under the relation “2^x is included when y is written as a sum of distinct powers of 2”) . Here are some questions:

What is the weakest natural subtheory of HF such that, when you adjoin the axiom of infinity to it, you get ZFC? Ditto for getting ZF.

What is the strongest natural axiomatizable subtheory of ZFC that is true when interpreted as being about HF? Can we do better than “ZFC - AxInf” while being more natural than “all propositions P such that ZFC |- (P & (HF |= P))”?

— JS