[FOM] 820: Sugared ZFC Formalization/2

Tennant, Neil tennant.9 at osu.edu
Tue Jun 19 08:22:07 EDT 2018

Harvey in effect relies on the scope distinctions that can be made fully explicit by the following use of bound variables to indicate term-insertions:

t_x (x=x)         false if the term t does not denote; true if the term t does denote

~ t_x (x=x)      true if the term t does not denote; false if the term t does denote

t_x ~(x=x)       false if the term t does not denote; false if the term t does denote

The free logic that captures these intuitions about term-denotations and truth-conditions is set out in my paper

Natural deduction for first order logic with identity, descriptions and restricted quantification’, in Contributed Papers of the 5th International Congress of Logic, Methodology and Philosophy of Science, London, Ontario, 1975, pp. I 51-2.

See iterm 123 at https://u.osu.edu/tennant.9/publications/

Neil