[FOM] arithmetic without product

Dan Brumleve jdb1729 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 11:23:55 EDT 2018

We could extend Presburger arithmetic with a binary predicate Square(x,y)
meaning y=x*x, and some axioms, something like

Square(x,y) & Square(x,z) -> z = y,
Square(x+1,z) <-> Square(x,y) & z = y + x + x + 1.

That is enough to express the property of being a sum of consecutive
positive integers in a particular range (using sum(i = 1 to n) = n(n+1)/2),
and for each of the instances to be provable in the extended theory.  But I
don't think it's enough to define full multiplication or a beta function.

However we have a similar problem again when we want to count the number of
such representations, I don't see how to handle that.

Dan