[FOM] What is the current state of the research about proving FLT?

Frédéric Blanqui frederic.blanqui at inria.fr
Tue Jan 16 07:42:30 EST 2018

Hi. The langage used for describing the machine checkable proof of the
odd-order theorem, ssreflect (which started to be developed for the
proof of the 4-color theorem), has been designed so as to better
separate in each deduction step what is important from what is
boilerplate or purely syntactical. See
https://hal.inria.fr/inria-00515548 (introduction) and
https://hal.inria.fr/inria-00258384 (reference manual). But it still
difficult to read without running it to see what is the state (goal and
assumptions) of the prover at each step. I'm not aware of any project
that would try to automatically generate a human readable summary of
such a proof. 20 years ago, there has been some work on this topic by
Yann Coscoy. See for instance http://doi.org/10.1007/BFb0014048,
http://doi.org/10.1007/BFb0052156 and (in French)
http://www.theses.fr/2000NICE5428. Best regards, Frédéric.