[FOM] News about Mochizuki's claimed proof of abc

Joe Shipman joeshipman at aol.com
Sat Jan 13 12:34:53 EST 2018

There’s an intermediate situation, where PART of the proof requires a bunch of tedious verifications with no real “ideas” explaining “why”, but where that part can be carried out by an algorithm, and where the proof of the algorithm’s correctness DOES qualify as being “understandable”, but the proof as a whole has not been reduced to proof-assistant-checkable form.

The Four Color Theorem is the first and best known example, but since then there have been many others.

The red flag with Mochizuki‘s work is not simply that it is just “one step after another”, but that there are no intermediate results or concrete examples or quantitative bounds which could provide some evidence that the whole structure fits together sensibly. (If there are, they have not been well publicized!)

— JS

Sent from my iPhone