[FOM] The gold standard and FLT

tchow tchow at alum.mit.edu
Thu Jan 11 13:17:30 EST 2018

Arnon Avron wrote:
> Does this mean that they do not know what are the norms
> in their religion and what is expected of them?

I think I have a pretty good understanding of what the current norms for
mathematics are, but I admit I don't know what *your* norms are.

When I publish a proof in algebraic combinatorics, am I supposed to make
it clear whether I've used Replacement?  Weak Koenig's Lemma?  Powerset?
  Am I supposed to figure out whether my argument can be formalized in
bounded arithmetic?

You're conflating whether an argument is *rigorous* with whether an
argument can be rewritten to use *weaker axioms than officially
permitted*.  There are no "standard, eternal criteria" for which axioms
can be used over the counter and which ones require a doctor's
prescription.

Tim