[FOM] What is the current state of the research about proving FLT?

Timothy Y. Chow tchow at alum.mit.edu
Mon Jan 8 12:18:38 EST 2018

Foundations of Mathematics <fom at cs.nyu.edu>
On Mon, 8 Jan 2018, Harvey Friedman wrote:
> I am not convinced by this line of reasoning. The key possibility is
> that after seeing such (extremely unlikely, by the way) fundamental
> inconsistencies, people will also try to prove 1 = 0 using the same kind
> of arguments that were used to prove the irrationality of sqrt(2). Or at
> least related totally accepted mathematical theorems.

There's a subtle difference between your objection here and what David
Fernandez Breton wrote, which was:

> For one, there's always the possibility that there is an inconsistency
> somewhere in the relevant axiom system (whichever it is that is
> necessary to carry out the corresponding proof).

I would phrase your objection as, "There is always the possibility that
the mathematical reasoning used in the proof is incoherent."  This is not
the same as saying that there is an inconsistency in some particular axiom
system.  For a start, there is no such thing as "the" relevant axiom
system that is necessary to formalize a particular argument such as the
proof of the irrationality of sqrt(2).  More importantly, David Fernandez
Breton's objection implicitly suggests that the *source* of our belief in
the correctness of our mathematical reasoning is the consistency of some
particular axiomatic system that we have concocted.  If we buy that, then
we are quickly led down the garden path: We then start to worry about the
consistency of the axiomatic system, and seek a *proof* of that
consistency to allay our doubts, and then are dismayed that any such proof
must be formalized in some other axiomatic system whose consistency is
open to doubt, and so on in an infinite regress.

This is all backwards.  It is only because we have prior confidence in the
correctness of certain types of reasoning that we are able to define
axiomatic systems and declare that they are even relevant to the project
of investigating mathematical reasoning.

In fact I would go further and say that if there is something incoherent
about the proof of the irrationality of sqrt(2)---and remember that I
chose this specifically because the proof is so easy and simple---it is
not going to be exposed by concocting elaborate axiomatic systems and
discovering inconsistencies in them.  It is going to come from reflecting
on the proof itself.  That proof is at least as simple as any axiomatic
systems that we devise.  If we have doubts about the irrationality of
sqrt(2) then we are going to have doubts about strict reverse mathematics.

Tim