[FOM] What is the current state of the research about proving FLT?

tchow tchow at alum.mit.edu
Sat Jan 6 17:17:31 EST 2018

On 2018-01-06 11:30, aa at post.tau.ac.il wrote:
> Just relying on the swear of somebody,
> be it even Goedel himself, is  against the spirit and moral
> of mathematics.
[...]
> Let me say it with even stronger words: in my opinion,
> a theorem can *really* be considered
> as proved in mathematics only when it reaches the stage in which its
> original
> proof has been  sufficiently simplified,  and then presented in
> textbooks
> in a way that most of the mathematicians can read and verify for
> themselves.
> If this cannot be done  or is not going to be done, then something
> very suspicious is going on.

It's nice to see that there are still some idealists in the world.

For my own part, I have long since given up on the criterion you state
here.  How many mathematicians are there alive today?  Obviously depends
on your definition, but let's say 100,000 as a conservative estimate.
So for something to be declared proved by your criterion, at least
50,000 mathematicians should be able to read and verify for themselves
the proof.  "Should be able" presumably means that said mathematician
should be able to do so with a "reasonable" amount of effort, I guess?
Not that I have to drop everything I'm doing and spend the rest of my
life on the verification?  What's a reasonable amount of effort?  Maybe
500 hours?  I would say that if we adopt this criterion, then the vast
majority of mathematics is "not proved."

I would say that the probability p that I personally would be able to
verify a randomly chosen theorem from the literature within 500 working
hours is very small.  In most cases, I would not even know where to
start.  Well, I guess I would start with the journal article, but most
likely I would get lost after at most a few sentences, and then I would
not know what to do next.  I would probably start hunting around for a
textbook that used some of the same keywords.  But I would not know
whether I had picked the right textbook, or how much of the textbook I
would really need to understand for the purpose at hand.  Moreover, I
would probably need to understand multiple textbooks and papers.  I
might even have to refresh my memory on things that I used to know but
have forgotten, which would eat into my 500-hour budget.

Now, maybe the problem is that I am a particularly under-educated
mathematician.  Maybe most mathematicians have a much higher p value
than mine.  But somehow I doubt it.  Suppose I had a big pot of money
and could say to a randomly chosen mathematician, "I will triple your
salary for the next 6 months if you can thoroughly referee this randomly
chosen paper."  I might get some takers but I doubt that in most cases
the mathematician would be able, at the end, to honestly declare that
the paper had been thoroughly checked, including everything cited by the
proof.  If it's not in the mathematician's field then chances are that
500 hours is not enough.

Now maybe you're happy saying that only 0.01% of what is commonly
considered proved is really proved.  Fine.  But returning to the subject
at hand, by your criterion, it is clear that Fermat's Last Theorem *has
not been proved*.  And if it hasn't been proved, then why are you
fussing about whether "the proof" goes beyond ZFC?  What proof?  There
is no proof.

Finally note that the point of my citing Brian Conrad was *not* to claim
that "the proof does not go beyond ZFC" is a piece of knowledge, but to
assert that *your* contention that the proof *does* go beyond ZFC is
mere belief.  You don't understand the proof yourself, so on what basis
do you claim that it goes beyond ZFC?  You're basing that claim on
hearsay.  Hearsay is not knowledge.

Tim