[FOM] Why Voevodsky was concerned about the foundations of the natural numbers?

Josef Urban josef.urban at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 10:02:17 EDT 2018

I have always believed these are two quite separate lines of research:

1. Coming up with clearly defined "more natural/convenient" foundational or
automation mechanisms. Like nonstandard analysis/set theory, little
theories, treatment of isomorphisms, fuzzy logic, etc.

2. Coming up with contextual (and often combining statistical and semantic)
mechanisms that disambiguate and "compile" our compressed, natural-language
and context-dependent math statements/proofs into precise statements/proofs
in existing foundations and formal proof systems.

I have almost convinced myself that (2) can be done already today, with the
existing formal proof systems and AI tools.

Obviously, progress in (1) is very useful and can also help (2).

But I really think a lot of progress in computer understanding of math can
be done using (2) right now, without a major progress in (1).

Josef