[FOM] proof assistants and foundations of mathematics

Joe Shipman joeshipman at aol.com
Thu Aug 9 11:56:36 EDT 2018

Accusing them of working in a theory known to be inconsistent seems unfair, because you don’t know that the moves needed to reach 0=1, which they didn’t make, are actually permitted by the theory you assume they “work in”. It seems to me that no professional mathematician who is not working in logic and set theory, in his everyday work, uses anything that’s not formalizable in “ZFC plus a proper class of Inaccessibles” (Grothendieck Universes) in well-established ways.

(And the ones who do work in logic and set theory are trivially aware that all their results can be regarded as proving within ZFC that certain axioms not in ZFC entail certain other propositions.)

Most mathematicians “work in” weaker theories, but a large majority of them have no objection to ZFC. (However, the debate about Grothendieck Universes is alive, in my opinion.)

— JS