[FOM] Fwd: Re: A question about AC in constructive mathematics

Mummert, Carl mummertc at marshall.edu
Mon Apr 30 08:18:28 EDT 2018

I don't think that Martin-Löf's 2009 paper "100 Years of Zermelo’s Axiom of Choice: What was the Problem with It?" [1] has been mentioned yet in this thread.

There is also a nuance about Diaconescu's theorem - there is more to it than just the lack of decidability of equality on the domain. In constructive Heyting arithmetic in all finite types (E-HA^\omega), only equality for numbers is decidable - even equality for type 0->0 is already undecidable. But nevertheless we have the axiom of choice for every finite type and every formula, constructively:

AC(\sigma,\tau):   [ (\forall x^\sigma) (\exists y^\tau) P(x,y) ] => [ (\exists F^{\sigma \to \tau}) (\forall x^\sigma) P(x,Fx) ]

Of course there are no "sets" in this language, only elements of pure finite types. The functional F there is extensional, because E-HA^\omega includes the higher-type extensionality scheme.

So something additional happens with constructive set theory, beyond the fact the equality on sets is not decidable. My thought has always been that the additional ingredient is the non-effective separation axioms in constructive set theory, but I would appreciate reading any deeper viewpoints on that issue.

Best,

Carl

1:  Martin-Löf P. (2009) "100 Years of Zermelo’s Axiom of Choice: What was the Problem with It?" In: Lindström S., Palmgren E., Segerberg K., Stoltenberg-Hansen V. (eds) Logicism, Intuitionism, and Formalism. Synthese Library (Studies In Epistemology. Logic, Methodology, and Philosophy of Science), vol 341.

--
Dr. Carl Mummert
Associate Professor of Mathematics