[FOM] Hamkins's multiverse and ultrafinitism

katzmik at macs.biu.ac.il katzmik at macs.biu.ac.il
Sun Nov 26 08:03:34 EST 2017

It is a mistake to use the term "ultra-finitist flavor" in reference to
Hamkins' position.

If anything his position can be more appropriately described as
"ultra-infinitest". Namely, our usual concept of familiar integer ends up
(more or less inevitably, depending on to what extent one is committed to the
multiverse scheme) incorporating ideal entities that behave like infinite ones
from the viewpoint of a more "economical" universe, and so on ad infinitum.

This was discussed thoroughly in https://mathoverflow.net/q/284747 where Tim
himself was an active participant.

A more concrete interpretation of the idea that every model of the integers
necessarily includes infinite ones from the viewpoint of another model is
discussed in our publication https://arxiv.org/abs/1703.00425

where we show more specifically that the Hamkins-Gitman "baby model" turns out
to be a model of a variant of Hrbacek-Nelson type formulation of Robinson's
nonstandard analysis.

MK