[FOM] The distinction between foundational concepts and their treatment as mathematics`

James Smith jecs at imperial.ac.uk
Sat Nov 25 09:13:46 EST 2017

Hi,

recently I replied to this question on mathoverflow:

https://mathoverflow.net/questions/286874/in-what-respect-are-univalent-foundations-better-than-set-theory

Here is my (admittedly somewhat oblique) reply:

https://mathoverflow.net/q/286896

To be honest, I was hoping for some comments that challenged my answer,
in order that I might learn something. The answer might appear (but is
certainly not meant to be) contentious, in that it rejects both set
theory and univalent foundations as foundations for mathematics. I think
I'm not alone in putting forward a combination of some kind of a type
theory and some kind of a proof theory as foundations, however. As far
as my understanding goes, modern proof assistants do just that.

The thrust of my answer highlights the need for an understanding of the
seemingly commonplace practice of treating of these formal systems as
mathematics and the problems that arise (for example, circularity) as a
consequence. My own opinion, voiced in my answer, is that it is almost
practically impossible to avoid such treatments. Seeking some
justification for this practice might be an interesting and prescient
topic of debate, however.

Kind regards,

James