[FOM] Godel and PA

Joe Shipman joeshipman at aol.com
Sat Mar 4 12:41:59 EST 2017

This was the point of my original query. There is a very easy isomorphism between the theory of HF and the theory of Peano arithmetic where exponentiation is a built in function whose totality is assumed. If you only have addition and multiplication in your language there is much more technical work to do which only obscures the metamathematical issues.  The representability of exponentiation in terms of addition and multiplication ought to be treated as a separate (and interesting and important) result but not as an essential component of "Godel's Incompleteness Theorems": even though historically Godel also proved this result it should be seen as a different piece of math.

For an interesting alternative development, I recommend very strongly Manin's GTM text, which does all the major results up through Matijasevich's in a very different order with very different dependencies.

-- JS

Sent from my iPhone