[FOM] Could it be that a "typical" Diophantine set is computable?

Joe Shipman joeshipman at aol.com
Mon Jul 3 18:25:34 EDT 2017

There is a lot to be learned from the interplay of different notions of "most".

For example, most irreducible polynomials have symmetric galois groups, but most algebraic numbers in any given algebraic number field have an irreducible polynomial with a "small" Galois group relative to its degree.

Reflecting on this tension led to the insights I needed to improve the Fundamental theorem of Algebra. (Gauss's version: any field of characteristic 0 in which all polynomials whose degree is 2 or an odd number have roots is algebraically closed. My version eliminates the characteristic 0 assumption, weakens "2 or odd" to "prime", and gives a computable criterion for all implications between statements that polynomials of various degrees always have roots.)

-- JS

Sent from my iPhone