[FOM] Wittgenstein Inspired Skepticism

Charlie silver_1 at mindspring.com
Mon Feb 27 14:27:49 EST 2017

	  I wish to repeat that addition of whole numbers (including decimals) is *totally* pinned down; every sum is right or wrong.  This is achieved, as indicated before, by having a table for *single* digit adding, and simple rules for “carrying”.  You just line up additions in columns.  E.g., start on the right, 9+2 equals 1, carry the 1 to the column to its left. To wit:
	     24349
   	   +75682
          _________
		     1, carry the 1 to the column to the left, etc.

	On the other hand, “continuing in the same way” is undetermined, since there are infinitely many different ways to continue a finite series.  I have no doubt that Kripke realized “quus” did not work, which explains Kripke’s continued distancing himself from Witt.

Charlie