[FOM] The liar paradox

Annatala Wolf a.lupine at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 18:25:45 EST 2017

I went ahead and read the first chapter of your book as well, and I'm
increasingly convinced the problem you are attempting to describe is wholly
linguistic in nature. I've thought a little about how to express this in a
way that will make intuitive sense.

First and foremost, sentences aren't true or false. Period. "This sentence
is true." is not true or false. It is a string of symbols. Words are not
their meanings. The word "true" is neither true or false. It is a word that
represents the idea of truth, and those two things are so different that
they are not directly comparable.

One problem here is that English, as with all natural languages, is
inherently imprecise. That is one of the factors that makes natural
languages powerful: they allow us to say things very quickly because they
permit gross ambiguity. This ambiguity can be remarkably easy to miss when
we try to reason intuitively. The reason that the more complex formulations
of the liar's paradox are not true paradoxes is that they rely on meanings
of sentences where the intended meanings of the sentences themselves are
ill-defined.

Humans are hardwired to reason in large steps with ambiguity in ways where
we unconsciously lift a word from one meaning to another without realizing
it, and frequently consider two meanings of the same word in concert as
though they were one. Stating "This sentence is false." is no more
paradoxical than stating "Paradoxes exist." It is not true that "This
sentence is false." has no meaning; rather, the meaning of that sentence is
an abstract concept which is not directly comparable to the meanings of the
words "true" or "false". This is a lot like a type mismatch error in
programming. "This sentence is false." feels intuitively wrong to us
because our brains naturally map "false" in that sentence to two different
and incompatible meanings.

Now, sentences can indeed express a meaning that may be considered true or
false when analyzed with the context of a system of logical deduction and a
universe (etc.). The meaning of certain expressions like "x = x" should be
true in any universe that has something in it, and we tend to think of the
meanings of sentences which express tautologies like "x = x" as
"universally true". But if you try to reformulate the liar's paradox refer
to the meaning itself rather than confusing the message with the medium,
you get something like, "This sentence's meaning will evaluate to false
when using deductive system X.", which will seem quite familiar. Now it
should be easier to spot the flaw.

And just to be clear, I'm not stating that objective truth doesn't exist.
I'm stating that the act of discussing paradoxes is not in itself
paradoxical. Empirically speaking this should be clear, because I'm doing
it right now. The word "paradox" is not a paradox, and (subtly) neither is
its meaning (which is the concept of paradox, not paradox itself).