[FOM] The liar paradox

Nik Weaver nweaver at math.wustl.edu
Tue Feb 14 10:20:34 EST 2017

A while ago there was a discussion on this list about the seriousness
of the liar paradox.  It seemed to be framed as a criticism of my
book "Truth & Assertibility", which begins with a discussion of this
topic (the question being, I think, why I would waste time on such a
triviality).

(Not all reactions to my book were negative.  May I mention that Math
Reviews hailed my "fresh and productive approach" as "a major
contribution"?)

This is just to say that I have written a short paper on the subject
titled "The liar paradox is a real problem".  It is available on the
arXiv here:

https://arxiv.org/abs/1702.03875

The key takeaway: "whatever simple idea you have for an easy resolution
of the liar paradox --- we've tried it, and it doesn't work."

Nik Weaver
Math Dept.
Washington University
St. Louis, MO 63130