[FOM] vagueness in mathematics?

Charlie silver_1 at mindspring.com
Tue Feb 14 17:47:27 EST 2017

	“Indeterminacy” is, indeed, reflected by Kripke in his book on Wittgenstein. Kripke’s own example seems clearer to me. He supposes that he may not have ever in the past performed the computation 68 + 57.  Though he has no doubt that the result is 125, via the “plus” function ‘+', he encounters a “bizarre sceptic" who uses the “quus” function, which Kripke symbolizes as ‘⊕'.  Kripke defines “quus” this way:

		x ⊕ y =  x + y,  if x, y < 57
			 = 5          otherwise.

	Kripke asks “Who is to say that this is not the function I previously meant by ‘+’ "?

	To me, this is expressed simpler by asking what it means to “continue in the same way,” which seems the point of Tim Chow’s example.  For instance, if we begin with 1, 2, 3, and try to “continue in the same way,” what stops us from this: 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, …  Any finite sequence can be followed by any other. Another example would be 1, 2, 3, 101, 102, 103, 201,…

	 A favorite example of mine is to ask what number “best” follows 1, 2, 4, 8, 16.  Most of us would answer 32, thinking the pattern is to use the function 2^n, where n >0. However, one can argue that the next number should be 31, and the next after that is 57.  In fact, if you follow the process sometimes called “successive subtractions” to reach the next “best” number, it does in fact yield 31 and then 57.  This is reflected by the function:

				(n^4 - 6n^3 + 23n^2 -18n + 24) / 24

which represents the number of regions in a circle cut off by straight lines connecting n points on the circumference of a circle, where each of the points is connected to every other by a line between them, creating some number of chords in the circle.  For example, 1 point on the circle leaves the entire circle as a region.  Connecting 2 points yield 2 regions.  Connecting 3 points yield 4; 4 points yield 8, and so on, … until 6 points yield 31 regions, and seven yield 57, ….

Charlie Silver