[FOM] Computability question

Ben Sherman sherman at csail.mit.edu
Sat Feb 11 12:16:27 EST 2017

You're right: undecidable languages aren't closed under either binary union or binary intersection. Here is a simple class of counterexamples:

Given an undecidable language L, its complement Lc is also undecidable. Then the union of L and Lc is the trivially true subset, which is decidable, and the intersection of L and Lc is the trivially false subset, which is decidable.