[FOM] Is mathematical realism compatible with classical reasoning?

tchow tchow at alum.mit.edu
Tue Aug 8 13:15:58 EDT 2017

Patrik Eklund wrote:

> If we start to use things like "majority position" as de facto
> justifications of mathematical rightfulness, what are we really doing?

It sounds like you're suggesting that this is what I have been doing.
But I have mentioned the majority position only with regard to a
*philosophical* claim, not with regard to any *mathematical* claim.
Specifically, whether a truth predicate for mathematics is itself
mathematical, without further clarification (and further clarification
is precisely what is under debate), is not a mathematical question.
Andre Kornell does not dispute this, as far as I can tell, since he
spoke of the degree of confidence that we have that the truth predicate
is mathematical, and I do not think he would use that language if all
that was being discussed was the mathematical rightfulness of a theorem.

Tim