[FOM] Is mathematical realism compatible with classical reasoning?

Patrik Eklund peklund at cs.umu.se
Mon Aug 7 00:20:57 EDT 2017

This discussion is turning into a very strange discussion.

If we start to use things like "majority position" as de facto
justifications of mathematical rightfulness, what are we really doing?
Philosophy is ok, and even new branches of philosophy (whatever they
are) are ok, but philosophy is not mathematics. Metamathematics is
mathematics, but as soon as we realize there may be meta of meta, and
meta of meta of meta, and so on, we wonder about fons et origo, and how
to start from there. Set theory needs logic, and logic needs set theory
to kick off. After a while they develop hand in hand and become
intertwined. This is pretty much where we were one hundred years ago.
That intertwining didn't per se justify self-referentiality, since on
the set theoretic side it remained strictly forbidden. On the logical
side it was allowed.

The problem is about types. For sets we really don't have them, and in
logic we mix terms and sentences, and we mix truth and provability.

Type theory tries to fix this but they make the same mistake as is done
is this debate. They reject the idea that metamathematics must be
mathematics. They want a meta that is the first and fundamental meta of
everything. What happens in such approaches is that something eventually
goes wrong, and then something cute is brought in from the outside as a
rescue, but it is not called another meta, but it lives its own life as
a nice trick.

The editorial board of FOM accepts and rejects postings also in this
discussion, but what is the standpoint of FOM and the editorial board on
these question other that steering the debate by accepting and rejecting
postings?

Best,

Patrik