[FOM] substitutional quantification, counterfactuals and ontological commitment

Paul Hollander paul at personalit.net
Wed Apr 26 15:15:44 EDT 2017

[NOTE:  This is my final corrected submission -- my apologies for the
previous drafts.]

Category theory uses the arrow, →, to express order-preserving relations
weaker than identity.

The fragment of category theory pertaining to identity, "baby category
theory," or "sub-identity theory," can be formalized for quantified
logic by adding six natural deduction rule schemas.

Here, the sub-identity morphism from a to b is expressed by 'id+(a →
b)'. Its inverse is 'id-(b → a)'.  They interact with identity and
monadic properties like this:

(= Introduction)  ⊦ id+(a → b) and ⊦ id-(b → a) together imply ⊦ a = b,

(= Elimination)  ⊦ a = b implies ⊦ id+(a → b) and ⊦ id-(b → a),

(id+ Introduction)  ⊦ id+(a → a),

(id+ Elimination)  ⊦ Fa and ⊦ id+(a → b) together imply ⊦ Fb,

(id- Introduction)  ⊦ id-(a → a),

(id- Elimination)  ⊦ ~Fa and ⊦ id-(a → b) together imply ⊦ ~Fb.

These rules replace the introduction and elimination rules for = in
natural deduction for quantified logic with identity.

The id+ and id- introduction rules are no-premiss rules analogous to =
Introduction.

The id+ and id- elimination rules are classical rules of detachment.
They differ in that id+ is an inheritance relation for monadic
properties while id- is an inheritance relation for negations of monadic
properties, like ~F.

With these rules, we stay close to the bounds of classical first-order
quantified logic with identity.

However, every non-trivial identity 'a = b' ultimately entails four
sentences, 'id+(a → b)', 'id-(a → b)', 'id+(b → a)' and 'id-(b → a)',
each of which has a unique inferential role.a

For the substitutionalist, instantiating a variable 'x' requires not one
but two names 'a' and 'b'.  Doing so provides the substitutionalist with
a non-trivial counterfactual claim, like '~(a = b)', as I pointed out in
my original submission.

But in this context, assuming this fragment of category theory, the
non-trivial claim ⊦ ~(a = b) spawns four non-trivial claims:  ⊦ ~(id+(a
→ b)), ⊦ ~(id-(a → b)), ⊦ ~(id+(b → a)) and ⊦ ~(id-(b → a)).  Each claim
is amenable to its own non-trivial counterfactual evaluation because
none requires assuming an "impossible possible world."

Additionally, because 'id+(a → b)' and 'id-(b → a)' are logically
equivalent, as are 'id+(b → a)' and 'id-(a → b)', the counterfactuals
spawned by '~(a = b)' involve a structured set of possible worlds.  The
closest such worlds involve the non-trivial counterfactuals '~(id+(a →
b) <--> id-(b → a))' and '~(id+(b → a) <--> id-(a → b))', where '<-->'
is the double conditional, while the furthest such worlds involve the
negation of each sentence separately.

Therefore, substitutionalist existential quantification provides six
structured non-trivial counterfactual scenarios, given this fragment of
category theory.  But objectualist quantification provides none, because
the objectualist assumes each instantiated quantifier implies reference.

Again, I'd appreciate any feedback from FOM.

Cheers,

Paul Hollander