[FOM] substitutional quantification, counterfactuals and ontological commitment

paul at personalit.net paul at personalit.net
Mon Apr 17 16:21:46 EDT 2017

I was recently talking with a colleague, who teaches logic and
philosophy of science using Copi-style rules only, about an advantage of
substitutionalist quantification over objectualist quantification.

An objectualist accepts the inference from |- (Ex)Fx to |- Fa by
assuming that 'a' refers. Not so for substitutional quantification, for
which this inference requires two names 'a' and 'b'.  This is
advantageous when 'Fa' is not equivalent to 'a=a' because it requires
application of a rule of detachment, like =-elimination, to infer |- Fa
from |- (Ex)Fx.  And applying =-elimination in this case requires
assuming the non-trivial identity 'a=b'.

Therefore, substitutional quantification is advantageous because the
negation of 'a=b', '~(a=b)' is amenable to counterfactual reasoning,
while the negation of 'a=a', '~(a=a)', is not, except in the case of an
"impossible possible world."

To me, this expresses a distinction between objectualist and
substitutionalist interpretations of quantification, while remaining
agnostic about ontological commitment, the question of whether 'a' and
'b' refer.  The substitutionalist supports non-trivial counterfactual
reasoning, but not the objectualist.

I'm curious as to any feedback from FOM.

Cheers,

Paul Hollander