[FOM] CFA: Model Theory: Philosophy, Mathematics and Language, Munich, 9-12 Jan 2017

John Wigglesworth jmwigglesworth at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 05:06:58 EDT 2016

CFA: Model Theory: Philosophy, Mathematics and Language

9 - 12 January 2017, Munich Center for Mathematical Philosophy, LMU Munich

Model theory is a branch of mathematical logic that studies languages and
their interpretations. As such, research in model theory overlaps many
areas in philosophy, linguistics, and mathematics. The introduction of
model theory in the beginning of the previous century was intertwined with
the development of set-theoretic foundations for mathematics; the
implications and applications for philosophy and linguistics soon followed.
The aim of this conference is to bring together philosophers, linguists and
mathematicians for whom model theory is a basic tool-kit. We wish to
facilitate knowledge transfer between these disciplines and create a
fruitful discussion on the applicability and the foundational role of model
theory. To do this, the conference will explore the following research
questions: Are model-theoretic tools sufficient for an adequate demarcation
of logical from non-logical constants? How does the model-theoretic
definition of truth advance our understanding of the semantic paradoxes?
How is meaning in natural language represented in models? How can models
account for specific linguistic phenomena (e.g., natural language
quantifiers)? What are the philosophical and linguistic consequences of a
theory's complexity as measured by model-theoretic classification theory?

Confirmed Speakers:

John T. Baldwin (University of Illinois at Chicago)
Tim Button (University of Cambridge)
Hartry Field (New York University)
Volker Halbach (University of Oxford)
Richard Kaye (University of Birmingham)
Menachem Magidor (Hebrew University of Jerusalem)
Barbara Partee (University of Massachusetts, Amherst)
Gila Sher (University of California, San Diego)
Sean Walsh (University of California, Irvine)
Dag Westerståhl (Stockholm University)
Thomas Ede Zimmerman (Goethe Universität Frankfurt am Main)

Call for Abstracts:

We invite the submission of abstracts, suitable for a 45 minute talk, on
topics related to any aspects of model theory.  We encourage submissions
from early-career researchers and PhD students. Please send an abstract of
around 1000-1500 words by email to modeltheory2017 at lrz.uni-muenchen.de in
PDF format. Abstracts should be prepared for blind review. The author’s
name, paper title, institutional affiliation, and contact details should be
included in the email.

Dates and Deadlines:

Submission deadline: 15 October, 2016
Notification of acceptance: 31 October, 2016
Registration deadline: 1 January, 2017
Conference: 9 - 12 January, 2017

For further details on the conference, please visit:
http://www.lmu.de/modeltheory2017

Organisers:

Lavinia Picollo (MCMP), Gil Sagi (MCMP/University of Haifa), John
Wigglesworth (MCMP)

--
John Wigglesworth
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München