[FOM] First- Vs Second-Order Logic: Origins of the Distinction?

Joseph Shipman JoeShipman at aol.com
Fri May 27 10:39:46 EDT 2016

I won't argue with your historical account, but I ask for explication not of the the "FOL vs SOL" distinction, but of the "logical vs mathematical" distinction.

The point of Logicism is that many statements which are regarded as "logical truths" can be shown to imply other statements which are regarded as "mathematical", and those mathematical theorems which can be so derived are appropriately regarded as "following from logic" and thus on a stronger epistemological footing.

The question then becomes "how much mathematics may be obtained in this way". That depends on what counts as "logical", and the two attitudes one may take on this are that a statement is logical by virtue of its form, or by virtue of being derivable in some deductive calculus.

I claim that before 1929, the former was generally held, because there was a notion of semantic entailment distinct from deductibility, so that soundness and completeness were clearly distinct properties of logical deductive calculi (soundness meaning that only validities were derivable, where a validity is an open statement whose universalized form is true in all models or interpretations, and completeness meaning that all validities are derivable).

Godel's Completeness Theorem in 1929 showed FOL to have such useful and desirable properties that they became a desideratum for a system to be "logical", and emphasis was decisively shifted from entailment to deductibility. After his Incompleteness Theorems in 1930 SOL was therefore deprecated because the unknowability of the validity of some statements (not just CH, but those true AE arithmetical statements which inevitably escape any given recursively enumerable set of axioms for a deductive calculus), but this consignment of semantic entailment to irrelevance would have been unjustifiable to the original Logicists.

The result is that Logicism has been so broadly dismissed that what Dedekind, Peano, Frege, Russell, et al thought they were accomplishing is no longer comprehended and they are made to look foolish.

If we take the broader attitude that logic is allowed to include statements which are valid despite their validity being a consequence of semantic entailment so that none of our current deductive calculi allow us to know them to be valid, then Logicism becomes much more acceptable, because Logic Itself is regarded as an open-ended subject just like mathematics, in which new and more powerful axioms and deductive systems may be investigated and eventually accepted, and the distinction between logic and mathematics is less sharp.

On this view, statements are logical by virtue of their form, but may imply mathematical propositions without themselves being knowable as validities, and mathematics may be used to justify logical calculi (thus we may regard any SOL statement which under set-theoretic semantics is implied by a theorem of ZFC to be a validity, and this is an acceptable "logical deductive calculus").

Those who disagree with my account here must give their own explanation of what exactly they consider Logicism to have accomplished, and may only deny the Logicist dictum that "most mathematics is derivable from logic" by demarcating a boundary within which lie all the mathematics which they accept as being derivable from logic and all the things that they regard the logicists as having actually accomplished, and outside of which lies "most mathematics".

Some possible positions that could be taken are, in order of increasing Logicism:

(0) even Euclid's theorem on the existence of arbitrarily large primes does not follow from "logical considerations alone" and the Logicists' work was mathematically trivial, all the more advanced theorems they reached depended on assumptions that they called "logical" but which we now know are "mathematical"

(1)  logic gets us PA but no further because the existence of an infinite set is a mathematical postulate that no acceptable form of 'logic' can give us, or

(2) SOL with set-theoretic semantics allows us regard a great many mathematical propositions, such as CH or any arithmetical statement, as equivalent to logical statements, but I only accept as "derivable from logic" those mathematical propositions which follow from [insert a deductive calculus for SOL here that is weaker than ZFC but stronger than PA], or

(3) any theorem of ZFC which can be shown (in weaker-than-ZFC system X) to be a consequence of (SOL proposition Y) may be regarded as "following from logic".

(4) The axioms of ZFC, properly viewed, are really logical rather than mathematical and Logicism is completely correct.

I hope this crude list is not exhaustive and that some of you will have more nuanced positions that you are willing to explain here.

-- JS

Sent from my iPhone