[FOM] Kleene's T predicate

Yiannis N. Moschovakis ynm at math.ucla.edu
Tue May 24 03:00:12 EDT 2016

​​
To supplement Martin's detailed account of the facts about the S
and T predicates, I have a (now vague) memory of Kleene explaining
that "S" stood for "substitution", the main rule for deducing
equations from Herbrand-Goedel-Kleene systems of equations, and
"T" is simply the next letter in the alphabet; nothing more
profound than that.

As Martin explains, the move from S to T in Kleene (1943) was made
"to deal with the non-determinism of the equation calculus". In
some detail (to make a point further down),
      S(e,x,y) <==> y is the code of a computation from the
                    system with code e on the input x,
and there may be many y's and many output values on the same input
x; setting
      T(e,x,y) <==> S(e,x,y) & (forall t<y) not S(e,x,t)
admits at most one computation with each e and x and so each e
computes exactly one partial function. This, however, addresses
only a small part of the problem introduced by the indeterminacy
of the HGK computation model, as the connection between a system E
and the (partial) function it computes is generally obscure,
except for very simple systems: it depends, for example, on the
specific coding for tuples we use to pick "the least computation"
in defining T. The deterministic Turing machines used in Martin's
classic 1958 book provide a much tighter connection between the
computation model and the partial function it computes.

A different approach to this problem was taken by John McCarthy in
his classic 1963 paper "A basis for a mathematical theory of
computation" (google it). McCarthy adds conditionals to the
term-formation rules of the equation calculus and so he can
restrict himself to systems of equations in which each (partial) function
is "defined" by a single term equation. Each "recursive program"
          f_i(x_i) = E_i   (i=1, ..., K)
computes the tuple of least partial functions f*_1,...,f*_K which
satisfy its equations, a direct, coding-independent connection of
denotational and operational semantics which (in many cases)
provides trivial "correctness proofs" for programs. Recursive
programs also provide very simple proofs of some basic results of
elementary recursion theory, such as the so-called First Recursion
Theorem of Kleene; and they can be easily extended to yield a
theory of recursion on arbitrary sets from arbitrary functions and
relations. They are well-known to computer scientists, of course,
but not as much to logicians who work in "computability theory".

Yiannis Moschovakis