[FOM] Mandelbrot set, Catalan numbers, Context-free grammars

Laurent Bartholdi laurent.bartholdi at gmail.com
Sun May 15 04:57:11 EDT 2016

Dear Andrius:
There is much to think about in your email, and I can only comment on the
link Mandelbrot set / Catalan numbers. As far as I see, the link is merely
that the Catalan numbers describe the main cardioid of the Mandelbrot set.
You consider the generating function G(c) = c G(c)^2+1; consider now the
function c*G(c), which satisfies cG = (cG)^2+c. Thus c*G(c) is a fixed
point of z^2+c. The main cardioid, in the Mandelbrot set, is the set of c
such that the fixed point c*G(c) is attracting, namely |c*G(c)|<1/2.
However, the structure of the Mandelbrot set is much more complicated than
the set of c such that Pn has an attracting fixed point; though these
attracting periodic points of z^2+c are presumably dense in the Mandelbrot
set.

--
Laurent Bartholdi
DMA, École Normale Supérieure, 45 rue d'Ulm, 75005 Paris. +33 14432 2060