[FOM] Wiki: type theoretic fnds

Erik Palmgren palmgren at math.su.se
Thu Mar 31 12:57:25 EDT 2016

Regarding the question:

 > What foundational issue is addressed by even ML type theory - no
 > univalence axiom - that cannot be more simply and better addressed by
 > standard f.o.m.?

I think Aczel's type theoretic model (in MLTT) of CZF constructive set
theory may be a good example. Here a direct constructive model of a
complicated system is given. No recursion theory is necessary.
It is possible to understand the computational content of the
model by reflecting on the computation rules of the MLTT involved.
It has only type constructions Pi (dependent product), Sigma (dependent
sum), + (disjoint sum), N (natural numbers), Empty type, W (type of
wellfounded trees), and a type universe closed under these
constructions. Measuring success by length of a self contained
explanation, I think this may be hard to beat for a standard
realizability interpretation.

Erik Palmgren