[FOM] A question about isomorphic structures

Till Mossakowski mossakow at iws.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Mon Mar 28 15:29:33 EDT 2016

I have a question to the HoTT community about the consequences of the
univalence axiom:
If I understand HoTT and univalence correctly: whenever you have two
types A and B, and there is some (definable) bijection between them,
then already A=B. That is, while the structure of A and B usually is
needed in order to define the bijection, the bijection need not to
preserve this structure (example:
http://homotopytypetheory.org/2015/01/20/ts1s1-cubically/). This means
that the correct slogan should be "definable bijection implies
equality", while "isomorphism implies equality" should be reserved for
specific situations where the isomorphism type is explicitly specified
(e.g.
http://homotopytypetheory.org/2012/09/23/isomorphism-implies-equality/)
- otherwise, it is even unclear what "isomorphism" should exactly mean.
This implies e.g. that integers=rationals, even though their ring
structures are of course different. And via this identity, each then is
equipped with two different ring structures.
Is this view correct?

Till Mossakowski