[FOM] Isomorphic Structures

David McAllester mcallester at ttic.edu
Mon Mar 28 08:24:51 EDT 2016

I am jumping in the middle here so correct me if I am repeating earlier
discussion.  The main point of Morphoid type theory (MorTT), and also of
HoTT, is to define isomorphism across all types and prove the soundness of
the substitution of isomorphics.  The substitution rule essentially states
that isomorphic objects can be identified and eliminates any need to repeat
proofs.    MorTT's classical departure point avoids HoTT's
propositions-as-types,  path induction, squashing and higher order
isomorphisms and seems more faithful to the informal language actually used
in mathematics departments.  Informal mathematics does seem to have a
strong notion of well-formedness of statements (types).

The real point, for me, is that the structure of mathematics is almost
completely driven by the identification of isomorphics.  For example, the
classification of finite simple groups is "up to isomorphism".  Consider
Poincare's conjecture that S^3 is the only simply connected compact three
manifold.  The word "only" is up to isomorphism.  The issue is not just
making proofs shorter, but rather that the very structure of mathematics as
a whole is driven by the identification of isomorphics.  Even the natural
number and the reals are only identified up to isomorphism of the
structures involved.

David