[FOM] A question about isomorphic structures

Till Mossakowski mossakow at iws.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Sun Mar 27 15:00:14 EDT 2016

In ZFC, you prove sets to be equal by proving the two inclusions. If you
look at actual proofs of equality of two types A and B in HoTT (like
this one: http://homotopytypetheory.org/2015/01/20/ts1s1-cubically/),
they are in reality proofs of isomorphism. You have to prove the
existence of two maps f:A->B and g:B->A, and also that they are inverses
of each other. From such an isomorphism, by univalence, you get
equality. I have the feeling that this is more a declarative act. It has
the convenient consequence that you can omit the isomorphism maps f and
g when transporting structure from A to B. E.g. when you have h:A->A, by
A=B you also get h:B->B. However, under the carpet, f and g are still
there, and h:B->B "in reality" (say, in an appropriate model of HoTT) is
f . h:A->A . g (where . is composition).

Till Mossakowski