[FOM] A question about isomorphic structures

Noah David Schweber schweber at berkeley.edu
Sat Mar 26 16:31:12 EDT 2016

Re: your second paragraph, the answer is no - isomorphism is *not*
absolute. For example, let A be the linear order of rationals, and B be the
linear order of constructible (in the sense of Godel) reals. Then A and B
are isomorphic if e.g. there is a measurable cardinal, but not if e.g. V=L.
(This is a very coarse analysis of the situation.)

This is explored in more detail in a number of places, e.g.
http://arxiv.org/abs/math/9301208.

The "absolute version" of isomorphism is *potential isomorphism*, or
equivalently elementary equivalence in the infinitary logic $L_{\infty
\omega}$. It's a theorem essentially of Karp that A and B are isomorphic in
some forcing extension iff A and B are $L_{\infty\omega}$-equivalent.

 - Noah Schweber