[FOM] the amazing language of set theory

WILLIAM TAIT williamtait at mac.com
Sat Mar 26 00:59:34 EDT 2016

Martin,

I’m not sure that the comparison with Descartes is sound. The advantage gained by Cartesian geometry was in ease of solving problems. No one would claim that translation of a problem—e.g.of analysis---into one in set theory generally makes it easier to solve. (The opponents of ‘set theoretic foundations’ often point to just this fact.) A real contribution of set theoretic foundations is that it provides ONE framework for all problems and the reasoning about their solutions. In each case, one can assume that the objects in question are in some universe of sets. The coherence of the statement of the problem and of the reasoning about it then becomes a question about the coherence of reasoning in one theory, namely set theory (together with whatever set theoretic assumptions the problem demands).

I want to point out that this point of view is not an endorsement of the view that ‘everything in math is a set’. [As Dedekind (sort of) said: it is meaningless to ask whether 0 is an element of 1.]

But I also want to point out that the very virtues of the categorical / type-theoretical foundations, which I completely understand, preclude this particular virtue of set theoretic foundations.

I suggest for this reason that many current arguments  about set-theoretic foundations versus (one’s favorite version of ) type theory just spin their wheels. Its nice that both are around.

Bill